Please use the vocabulary list below to search the library catalog, through the keyword function, to identify materials relevant to this course.
- Popular culture
- Mass Culture
- Pop culture
- Globalization and Popular Culture
- The Islamic World
This course will explore the impact of Globalization on various cultures of the world with special intrest in the Islamic world, North Africa, and Morocco. Popular culture includes religion, music, food, clothes, and architecture and, in general, much of today’s popular culture is “Western”, originating in the United States. Other countries, such as Turkey, Egypt, Algeria, Cuba, Mali, Senegal, and South Africa have not only been able to absorb global forces, but to produce their own cultural productions that have also gone global. This course will look at how local cultures are impacted by global popular culture but respond to not to them.
Library of Congress Classes and Subclasses
Please use the call number below to search the library catalog, through the Call Number function, to browse the library collection listing materials relevant to this course.
- CB3-482 History of Civilization
- DS35.3-35.77 The Islamic World
- DS36-39.2 Arab countries
- DS36.9 Ethnography
- DS41-66 Middle East. Southwestern Asia. Ancient Orient. Arab East. Near East
- DT301-330 Morocco
- F1-975 United States local history
- GT500-2370 Costume. Dress. Fashion
- GT2400-3390.5 Customs relative to private life Including children, marriage, eating and drinking, funeral customs, etc.
- HM621-656 Culture